O beatissime lector, lava manus tuas et sic librum adprehende, leniter folia turna, longe a littera digito pone.*
A lot of moving parts are inherent to the development of a blog, journal, website, or other digital artifact. This describes the tools and components used, and the usage rights applied in the development, management, and publishing of Errant Ruminant's digital presence.
Only one thing is impossible for God: To find any sense in any copyright law on the planet. —Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain)
Unless otherwise indicated, all content found published to this website is available under the Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC by-NC-SA 4.0 Int.) license, or any later version.
- Cloud server provider: Vultr.com
One VPS instance shared between three sites: Tandem Farms, Tandem Realty, and Errant Ruminant.
- Operating system: Fedora Linux
Latest version or one version removed.
- Front-end: the Ghost publishing platform, self-hosted
Want to do the same? Reference these instructions.
- Backup: scripted backup saved to the Keybase Filesystem.
- Todd's laptop: Fedora Linux workstation
- Image manipulation: GIMP and Inkscape
- Offline document development and brainstorming: Joplin
Instructions for installing Joplin on Fedora Linux can be found here.
Images, Text and Fonts, Color Pallet
Imagery is edit and manipulated using the Inkscape and GNU Image Manipulation Program, GIMP software applications. Complex custom content is often developed first in Inkscape, saved as a SVG vector graphic, then outputted to a PNG graphic, and if need by, scaled down and cropped using GIMP. Individual components needed by an Inkscape project (example, individual raster images), are usually edited in GIMP first, utilized by Inkscape, with the resultant export, again edited with GIMP.
There is a constant struggle to balance beautiful imagery with the needs to of the internet (size of image).
Image dimensions for the website
- Article header images and those that span the breadth of an article: 800px wide.
- Cover: Width should be approximately 1/2 Height (example, 600x1200)
- Icon: 60x60px
- Logo: 600x72px
- Profile: 600x600px
- Post/Entry images: 1000px+ for full width
. . . more to come . . .
This site's content (articles and blog/journal entries) is developed offline (see Joplin above) and formatted as Markdown, which is then uploaded directly to the Ghost platform CMS with little or no adjustment.
Theme and Fonts
The site structure has been customized to lead with a landing page. While pages remain pages, /blog/ follows native blog-ish structure.
Monospaced content: Fira Mono
More technical content has text content set to 'Fira Sans Book' and 'Fira Mono'.
Other specific use cases may call for one-off usage of various fonts, such as Chilanka, Fira Sans Book, Crimson Text, Croscore Cursor, Overpass, and Overpass Mono
The corresponding css font properties may look like this.
/* headers */ font-family: MyAveriaSans, 'Fira Sans Book', sans-serif; /* h1 */ font-family: MyAveriaSans, sans-serif; /* other headers */ font-weight: 900; /* text */ font-family: 'Crimson Text', serif; /* code/pre-formatted */ font-family: 'Fira Mono', monospace; /* alternative content: technical */ /* text */ font-family: 'Fira Sans Book', sans-serif; /* code */ font-family: 'Fira Mono', monospace; /* alternative content: cursive */ /* headers */ font-family: MyAveriaSans, sans-serif; /* text*/ font-family: MyChilanka, MyAveriaSerif, serif;
- off-black with a hint of blue:
- visited/link - dark umber:
- hover - light umber:
color: #ae6f1aff;and sometimes light blue:
- visited/link - dark umber:
General color palette
Shades of gray with occasional splashes of color. Dark background. Light foreground (content region). Off-black, bluish text (see above).
The Chicago Manual of Style is adhered to, until it is not.
* Translation: "O most gracious reader, wash your hands and touch the book only like this: turn the pages softly and keep your finger far away from the text". —source: Colophon (publishing), Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia